Monday, June 6, 2011

Firefly and visions

I recently become a fan of the Firefly television series.  Firefly is described by its creator, Joss Whedon as a space western.  One particular episode, "Heart of Gold"  really captures the western feel.

The episode takes place on a moon which has not been fully terra-formed (made to look like Earth).  So the landscape is the hard-scrabble, dry, desert, type that you see in many traditional westerns.  There's a ruthless land baron trying to drive out a small enterprise.  In this case its a whore house (I'm not dealing with the morality here).  The highpoint of the story is a shootout worthy of any western.  The whore house prevails and metes out some frontier justice.


Firefly first aired on one of the network broadcast stations.  Based on what I've read, the network executives never caught Whedon's vision.  The show was canceled after 14 or 15 episodes.


The Firefly series has grown in popularity since then.  It has aired on a cable channel and DVD sales are quite strong.  There is a movement by fans to bring the show back.  The reason given for the show's cancellation was lack of viewers and profitability.  I wonder what would have happened if the network executives let it stay on long enough to build a following?


I almost killed a vision.  I had some parishioners who wanted to start a food pantry and clothes closet ministry.  Initially I was resistant.  I was concerned about getting the approval of the church council,  getting money in the budget for it, how our insurance would be affected, blah, blah, blah.  I found all sorts of bureaucratic reasons to kill the ministry before it even got started.  Then I went to a conference for church leaders.  The presenter said that leaders should give their parishioners permission to do ministry.  We shouldn't bog them down with red tape.


Thanks be to God I listened.  The ministry was formed.  It was that ministry that became a 501(c)3 non-profit.  I almost deprived the community, the church, and myself of something that proved to be very beneficial.


I wonder how many visions I did kill?  I wonder how many useful products, services, and ideas have been lost because someone killed another's vision?  God save me from killing anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment